Current:Home > NewsSignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center:Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -WealthMap Solutions
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center:Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 17:47:25
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Centeragain been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (19)
Related
- Friday the 13th luck? 13 past Mega Millions jackpot wins in December. See top 10 lottery prizes
- Christine Sinclair to retire at end of NWSL season. Canadian soccer star ends career at 41
- Michael Kors’ Secret Sale on Sale Is Here—Score an Extra 20% off Designer Handbags & More Luxury Finds
- Plaintiffs won’t revive federal lawsuit over Tennessee’s redistricting maps
- Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
- Wisconsin Supreme Court says Robert F. Kennedy Jr.'s name will remain on swing state’s ballot
- Alabama carries out the nation's second nitrogen gas execution
- Ex-regulator wants better protection for young adult gamblers, including uniform betting age
- Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
- Helene wreaking havoc across Southeast; 33 dead; 4.5M in the dark: Live updates
Ranking
- Jamie Foxx reps say actor was hit in face by a glass at birthday dinner, needed stitches
- Maggie Smith Dead at 89: Downton Abbey Costars and More Pay Tribute
- A federal judge in Texas will hear arguments over Boeing’s plea deal in a 737 Max case
- CBS News says it will be up to Vance and Walz to fact-check each other in veep debate
- Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
- Will Ferrell recalls his biggest 'fear' making Netflix film with trans best friend
- NY judge denies governor’s bid to toss suit challenging decision to halt Manhattan congestion fee
- House explosion that killed 2 linked to propane system, authorities say
Recommendation
Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
Jenna Dewan Shares Cheeky Message After Finalizing Channing Tatum Divorce
Kentucky sign language interpreter honored in program to give special weather radios to the deaf
Lululemon's Latest We Made Too Much Drops -- $29 Belt Bags, $49 Align Leggings & More Under $99 Finds
The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
In 'Defectors,' journalist Paola Ramos explores the effects of Trumpism on the Latino vote
Ex-regulator wants better protection for young adult gamblers, including uniform betting age
Joe Wolf, who played for North Carolina and 7 NBA teams, dies at 59